The Borno State governor, Babagana Zulum, has said there is no space to accommodate repentant Boko Haram members again in the state.
The governor said there is currently a challenge of lack of space to accommodate members of Boko Haram who have been surrendering alongside members of their family to troops in the state.
According to PM News Nigeria, Zulum said this while inducting a committee on the repatriation of Borno citizens living in Chad, Niger and Cameroon on Monday at the Government House, Maiduguri, the state capital.
He noted that all the three camps provided for repentant Boko Haram members had been filled to capacity.
He also added that the Federal Government had constituted a similar committee on the repatriation of victims of insurgency taking refuge in neighbouring countries.
He said his government had discussed “with the Theatre Commander of Operation Hadin Kai, on the need to have bigger camps and said the government should also look for another source of funding from public and private organisations.”
Zulum further explained that a few months ago, the state secured 15 million Euros as support from Germany and was being managed by United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
The committee chaired by the state Deputy Governor, Alhaji Umar Kadafur, would also supervise the behaviour of the repentant insurgents, particularly how they are to come out of the bushes, their rehabilitation and reintegration into society.
He added that the proper handling of the task would lead to the increased surrender of remnants of the insurgents and bring peace to Borno for the needed development.
The Co-chairman, Mr Kaka Shehu, who thanked the governor for the confidence reposed in them, assured the government and people of Borno of their commitment to delivering.
Shehu said the committee would work in close synergy with its Federal Government counterpart for maximum results.