Imo Massive Killings: FMC Owerri, Laments Over Unclaimed Corpses, Gives Two-Week Ultimatum, Threatens Mass Burial

The Federal Medical Centre, FMC, in Imo state, has ordered members of the public to claim the corpses deposited at the FMC mortuary.

It gave a two-week ultimatum for the publics to claim all the corpses saying it would commence a mass burial for all the unclaimed corpses after two weeks.

The spokesperson of FMC, Achonu Jacinta made this known in on Wednesday.

It was learnt that most of the bodies included those that lost their lives during attacks by bandits in the state and the clashes between hoodlums and security operatives.

But according to FMC, “This is to inform the general public that the Federal Medical Center, Owerri, intends to conduct mass burial of the abandoned corpses in its mortuary.

“Given the above, those whose relatives are missing should visit the mortuary hospital for possible identification and collection of such corpses within two weeks.”

Read Also : Breaking News: Unknown Gunmen Gruesomely Slaughter Late Prof Dora Akunyili Husband, Dr Chike (Full Details)

Insecurity in Imo State became worsened after the Jailbreak of Owerri Correctional Center, in April this year, and over 1800 inmates were released by the hoodlums.

Since then, Imo has experienced uncountable attacks on Police formations across the 27 local government areas of the state, with Njaba, Orlu, Aboh Mbaise, Oru East at the top as the most affected.

Within this period, scores of police officers were killed and residents by stray bullets especially during an open confrontation between the security operatives and hoodlums.

According to Amnesty International at least 115 people killed by security forces in four months in country’s Southeast in particular Imo State.

Read Also : Unknown Gunmen: What’s Happening Now Is Nothing Compared To What Happened To IPOB Before – Ohagi

Police was once said at least 21 personnel were killed in three months in Imo state.

Police continued that more than 500 arrested after police and military raids.

Widespread allegations of torture and ill-treatment was in the high increase in Imo state.

According to the report, Nigerian security forces have committed a catalogue of human rights violations and crimes under international law in their response to spiralling violence in Southeast Nigeria, carrying out a repressive campaign since January which has included sweeping mass arrests, excessive and unlawful force, and torture and other ill-treatment, said Amnesty International.

“The evidence gathered by Amnesty International paints a damning picture of ruthless excessive force by Nigerian security forces in Imo, Anambra and Abia states,” said Osai Ojigho, Country Director at Amnesty International.

Read Also : Just In: Joe Igbokwe Calls Buhari Govt To Declare State Of Emergency In South-East(Reasons) 

Nigeria’s government has responded with a heavy hand to killings and violence widely attributed to the armed group calling itself Eastern Security Network (ESN), the armed wing of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), a pro-Biafra movement.

According to government officials, the ESN killed dozens of security operatives and attacked at least ten public buildings, including prisons and police stations, from January to June. In response, security forces comprising military, police.

Department of State Services (DSS) have killed dozens of gunmen, as well as civilians, where attacks have been committed.

Share this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Open chat